AI Managers Overview – Opportunities & Challenges
As AI changes the competitive landscape and upends operations in several business functions, it is important to evaluate the specific opportunities and challenges it leads to from a manager’s perspective.
- Rob Mac Learn
- 11 Feb
Artificial Intelligence has developed enough in the last few years to offer applications beyond relatively simple tasks. But a general AI system, which can solve many types of problems and is self-aware, is still not available. Even within the scope of narrow AI, where machines use abilities like deep learning and natural language processing to solve very specific problems, what new developments mean from a manager’s perspective are slightly different from what they do for a general user. The business aspect of AI can be considered with the help of three important questions:
1. What is AI?
As computers lowered the cost of arithmetic, AI has the ability to lower prediction costs, i.e. generating new insights from existing information. But, judgment will remain a human forte for now, e.g. AI predicts the best fit candidate for a job position, while a manager handles mentoring and taking ethical decisions. In view of this, not just managerial skill sets will have to adjust, but other changes will occur too.
2. How will AI influence business strategy?
- · Increasingly more complex prediction problems will be handed over to AI systems.
- · Managers will have to train workers in judgment-related tasks.
- · To properly time the shifting of workforce training, rate and direction of adoption of AI technologies will have to be continually assessed.
- · Processes that combine the strengths of human workforce and AI will have to be developed.
- · Strategic alliances to access effective data will have to be formed.
3. What are the major management risks from AI?
- · Replacement threat – Some jobs may no longer be necessary as reliance on AI systems grows.
- · Dependence threat – Prediction dependence on algorithms could create new vulnerabilities and potential inefficiencies, especially if errors and biases creep into these algorithms.
- · Security threat – Protecting sensitive corporate information will not just be an IT problem, but a responsibility of the management too.
- · Privacy threat – As more data is collected from the labor force, new questions of autonomy and freedom will have to be addressed.
The net effects of the strategic implications of AI on management, along with related risks, are uncertain – what is certain is that AI will change business. Understanding this evolution will help managers be better prepared for the business world of tomorrow.
QUANTIFIED SKIN™ - COGNIFYING SKIN CARE
Powered by Deep Learning. Our platform analyzes the contextual and behavioral signals of users from images and sensor data.
SNAPS - AUTOMATED CHATBOT
Snaps Helps Brands Deflect Tickets, Drive More Conversions & Delight Customers Through Proactive And Always-On Customer Service Automation.
DATMO - PLATFORM FOR SEAMLESS SCALING
Datmo tools help power up your existing model workflow. A new standard built by engineers, for engineers.
BIZTEXTER - CLOUD TEXTING
BUSINESS TEXTING A.I. SMS CHATBOTS
FACTMATA.COM - CREDIBLE MEDIA CHECKER
A crowdsourced community platform powered by advanced machine learning for tackling fake news and misleading content on the web. Sign up with Email to stay up to date on our plans.