7 Ways AI will Affect Your Life in 2018
From facial recognition devices to personalized media, AI is expected to finally start affecting people’s lives in a truly meaningful way in 2018.
- Sarah Winter
- 07 Mar
Since at least Turing’s time in 1950, intelligent computers have fascinated people. But it has taken decades for the right combination of factors to come together to move AI from concept to an increasingly ubiquitous reality. After a lot of talk in 2017, it is in 2018 that data generated because of mass use of Internet-connected devices, and algorithms that recognize patterns in this data, will lead to tangible ways in which AI affects all our lives. Some of these expected developments are:
1. Smart virtual assistants – Personal assistants based on AI will become smarter and more affordable. They will learn our daily routines and handle simple, but useful, chores like ordering groceries.
2. Multiple voice-based gadgets – The popularity of voice-based assistants will result in many devices at home across platforms. There’s exciting potential, but possible chaos expected as well.
3. Practical use of facial recognition – Going beyond security and biometric capabilities, facial recognition will start replacing credit cards, driver’s licenses and barcodes. No need to even line up at the payment counter at a store.
4. Basic AI terminology becoming commonplace – As AI permeates the enterprise, everyone from CEO through middle managers to frontline employees will start becoming conversant in basic terminology. This will help demystify the technology and open up possibilities.
5. Personalized media – Forget identifying songs that you will like – new services could start creating music from scratch based on your tastes.
6. Tailored news and market reports – Reports that don’t just recap market performance, but explain your portfolio performance, at any time, will soon be a reality. Newsrooms will also use AI in more innovative ways.
7. Wide use in healthcare – By end-2018, nearly half of leading healthcare systems will have adopted some form of AI within their diagnostic groups, not just in medical specialties, but even in hospital operations, solutions for population health and clinical specialties. The way patients experience healthcare globally will truly begin its transformation in 2018.
MONKEYLEARN - SMART TEXT ANALYSIS
Text Analysis and Machine Learning made easy. Get started for free!
KNOWHERE - NEWS ANALYZER
The world's most unbiased news.
LUMINOSO - LUMINOSO ANALYTICS
Luminoso Analytics makes it easy to quickly analyze large amounts of text-based data, from chatbot transcripts to product reviews.
OPEN HEALTH NETWORK - BLOCKCHAIN IN A BOX
"Blockchain in a Box" for Healthcare. Smart patient experience platform powered by A.I., Big Data, and Blockchain.
KLUSTER - SMARTER PIPELINE
Kluster Intelligence interprets CRM data to produce innovative insights and action-points, designed to drive growth and profits.