Although science fiction may depict AI robots as the bad guys, some tech giants now employ them for security. Companies like Microsoft and Uber use Knightscope K5 robots to patrol parking lots and large outdoor areas to predict and prevent crime. The robots can read license plates, report suspicious activity and collect data to report to their owners.
These AI-driven robots are just one example of “autonomous things,” one of the Gartner Top 10 strategic technologies for 2019 with the potential to drive significant disruption and deliver opportunity over the next five years.
“The future will be characterized by smart devices delivering increasingly insightful digital services everywhere,” said David Cearley, Gartner Distinguished Vice President Analyst, at Gartner 2018 Symposium/ITxpo in Orlando, Florida. “We call this the intelligent digital mesh.”
- Intelligent: How AI is in virtually every existing technology, and creating entirely new categories.
- Digital: Blending the digital and physical worlds to create an immersive world.
- Mesh: Exploiting connections between expanding sets of people, businesses, devices, content and services.
“Trends under each of these three themes are a key ingredient in driving a continuous innovation process as part of the continuous next strategy,” Cearley said.
The Gartner Top 10 Strategic Technology trends highlight changing or not yet widely recognized trends that will impact and transform industries through 2023.
Read the full article on Gartner.com
Stay updated on Artificial Intelligence companies in Retail
Follow the Retail category and get a newsletter with content from AI companies developing technologies to improve the retail experience.
Scholar Isaac Asimov was one of the 20th century's most prolific writers, writing in many genres. He was known for sci-fi works like Foundation and I, Robot.
20. Scikit-learn is a free software machine learning library for the Python programming language.
19. Microsoft Azure is a cloud computing service for building, testing, deploying, and managing applications and services.
18. Linux is a family of free and open-source software operating systems built around the Linux kernel.
17. A NoSQL database provides a mechanism for storage and retrieval of data that is modeled in means other than the tabular relations used in relational databases.
16. Microsoft Excel is a spreadsheet that features calculation, graphing tools, pivot tables, and a macro programming language called Visual Basic for Applications.
15. C is a general-purpose, imperative computer programming language, supporting structured programming, lexical variable scope and recursion.
14. TensorFlow is an open-source software library for dataflow programming across a range of tasks. It is a symbolic math library, and is also used for machine learning applications such as neural networks.
13. MATLAB is a multi-paradigm numerical computing environment and proprietary programming language developed by MathWorks.
12. C++ is a general-purpose programming language. It has imperative, object-oriented and generic programming features, while also providing facilities for low-level memory manipulation.
11. Amazon Web Services provides on-demand cloud computing platform. The technology allows subscribers to have at their disposal a virtual cluster of computers, available all the time.
10. Scala is a general-purpose programming language providing support for functional programming and a strong static type system.
9 .Apache Hive is a data warehouse software project built on top of Apache Hadoop for providing data query and analysis.
8. Tableau Software produces interactive data visualization products focused on business intelligence.
7. SAS is a software suite for advanced analytics, multivariate analyses, business intelligence, data management, and predictive analytics.
6. Java is a set of computer software and specifications that provides a system for developing application software and deploying it in a cross-platform computing environment.
5. Apache Spark is an open-source distributed general-purpose cluster-computing framework.
4. Apache Hadoop is a collection of open-source software utilities that facilitate using a network of many computers to solve problems involving massive amounts of data and computation.
3. SQL is a domain-specific language used in programming and designed for managing data held in a relational database management system.
2. R is a programming language and free software environment widely used among statisticians and data miners for developing statistical software and data analysis.
1. Python is an interpreted, high-level, general-purpose programming language. Python has a design philosophy that emphasizes code readability, notably using significant whitespace. It provides constructs that enable clear programming on both small and large scales.
Sign up and follow Artificial Intelligence companies in your industry to stay updated.